- Skeptical perspective on current Metaverse chatter.
- The concept of a “Metaverse” is hard to pin down and vague.
- Many companies envision the Metaverse as a new digital economy, where users can create, buy, and sell goods.
- Tech companies are building technologies related to interacting with virtual worlds.
- Companies are rebranding existing cyber experiences as Metaverse for a new angle to profit.
- Any real “metaverse” would be little more than some cool VR games and digital avatars in Zoom calls, but mostly just something we still think of as the internet
Broadly speaking, the technologies companies refer to when they talk about “the metaverse” can include virtual reality—characterized by persistent virtual worlds that continue to exist even when you’re not playing—as well as augmented reality that combines aspects of the digital and physical worlds.
Read the full article Wired: What Is the Metaverse, Exactly?